Claims on Estates

If you were living with someone who has died as his or her partner, or if you were dependent on them or being maintained by them or are their child, it's possible that you may have a claim against their estate if you are not provided for in the Will or if there is no Will and you do not receive anything under the rules of intestacy.

The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 provides that people falling within the above categories can make a claim against the estate. Making this claim enables the court to consider whether they should receive something under the estate and allows the court to change the way the estate is distributed accordingly.

If you would like some further information about either bringing or defending a claim, please email one of our team below or call us on Exeter 01392 258451.

Team members:

Related Legal Services:

Latest News


Chambers and Partners UK Guide 2018

Read More

Family Department Promotions

Read More

Family Department Law Society Accreditation

Read More